As most of you will know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month so we need to think pink, shop pink and wear pink! In aid of raising awareness and the fight against Breast Cancer. This disease takes 1000 women from us every month and Breakthrough Breast Cancer is determined to put a stop to this for good!
Leading high street brands in fashion, beauty and lifestyle have come together to offer exclusive pink products for shoppers. These products help raise funds throughout Breast Cancer Awareness month as proceedings from your purchases go towards research. I have picked just a few of my favourite pink pieces ♥
- bottlepink Pomegranate, Elderflower & Strawberry Mascapone Layer Cake – ok so this one involves participating in the #BreakthroughBakeOff which is a fun way to show off your baking skills and indulge is this gorgeous pink cake once you’ve made it! You can see the full recipe at the bottom of this post ♥
- Black T-shirt from River Island, £18.00 ‘Fashion is what you buy. Style is how you wear it’ well said.
- Laura Ashley Spotty Cosmetic Case, it’s always nice to have a new pink cosmetic bag when travelling!
- H! by Henry Holland Lips bag £25.00 from Debenhams, for all those that love to pucker up.
- I love this cute girl pink print eye mask from Debenhams
- GHD Coral Styler £129 from lookfantasic (don’t forget to check my offers page!) just look how pretty!
Comment below and let me know what your pink purchases have been this month to support the cause. If you want to take part in the #BreakthroughBakeOff here is one of my favourite recipes (not my own!)
Makes: 10 slices – Preparation time: 1 hr – Cooking time: 30 mins
225g softened butter, 225g golden caster sugar, 4 large free range eggs lightly beaten, 225g self raising flour, 2 tsps baking powder, 150g strawberries chopped into small pieces, 1 tbsp Bottlegreen pomegranate and elderflower cordial
Icing- 100g softened butter, 200g icing sugar, 250g Mascarpone cheese, 100g strawberries (plus a few extra for decoration) 1 pomegranate or 50g prepared seeds and reserve a few for decoration, 2 tbsps Bottlegreen pomegranate and elderflower cordial, few drops pink colouring, 14g freeze dried strawberries
Topping – 150g white chocolate
- Place the chopped strawberries into a saucepan, add the tbsp of cordial and gently heat for a few minutes, cool.
- Pre heat oven to 180c, gas mark 4, grease and line 3 x 18 cm cake tins.
- Place the butter and sugar in a food mixer and beat until light and fluffy, gradually add the eggs a little at a time, beating between each addition.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together and stir into the cake mixture followed by the cooled strawberries and a little pink food colouring. Divide between the tins, level and bake for approx 25-30 mins until the cakes are golden, risen and spring back when lightly pressed. Leave to cool a little in the tins then turn out and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream beat the butter and icing sugar together with the cordial, add the mascarpone and a little food colouring to get the desired pink colour, divide the mixture in half and add the remaining finely chopped strawberries and pomegranate to one half.
- Break the chocolate into even pieces and place in a heatproof bowl, put it over a pan of simmering water and allow to gently melt.
- To assemble the cake, divide the icing with the fruit in between the layers and pile on top of each other making sure the top is completely flat by turning the cake over to use the underside.
- Spread the remaining icing around the sides of the cake. Place in the fridge to firm up for approx 30 mins -1 hr, carefully press or roll the sides of the cake in the freeze dried strawberries, place on a serving plate. Pour the white chocolate (it shouldn’t be too hot or runny) over the top allowing it to just drip over the edges, allow to set.
- Decorate with the white chocolate bark if using and the reserved strawberries and pomegranate.
Cook’s tip: To make white chocolate, pistachio and strawberry bark to decorate, simply melt 100g white chocolate, pour onto a greased and lined baking sheet and spread evenly, sprinkle over freeze dried strawberries and chopped pistachios with skins removed, allow to set, then break into shards and arrange on top of the cake.
If you make this cake don’t forget to tweet me your pictures, I would love to see! Use the #BreakthroughBakeOff too. You don’t want to miss the next article! Sign up to Secret Style File (top right) to get articles, reviews and news sent straight to your inbox in true fashionista style. If you’re a total socialite then follow me on twitter and Facebook as well (still top right) Don’t forget to check the ‘Offers’ page for the latest discount codes ❤