I have now been blogging for three and a half years and I am continually learning new things and picking new tips from other bloggers, writers and entrepeneurs. If you have read my post on how I started blogging you will know that I didn’t just start blogging over night. I had to get together some vital blogging essentials.
So here are my top blogging essentials, these are things that work for me and my blog.
- Diary and/or notepad, I have to be on top of product launch dates, press events, meetings and appointments in my personal life too and I need to have everything written down so I can visualise it all in my head. I don’t think you will find a blogger who does not make to-do lists! I need a notebook to constantly keep a note of blog ideas, video ideas, shopping lists and like I said to-do lists!
- Camera or a phone that takes good photos, I started off taking photos on my phone and editing them. I think this is perfectly acceptable, but for YouTube I had to invest in a video camera and made sure I chose one that takes good pictures too. It is all about lighting and just for the record, I still do not have lighting and still rely heavily on daylight (winter months are tough!)
- Hard drive or SD card for storage.
- A laptop or PC, this is essential. Smart phones are great for when you are on the go but video editing is so much easier on a laptop and so is WordPress itself! Not to mention battery life, memory and your squinting eyes!
- Pens to write everything down!
- Post it notes, forever running out but essential for note making and reminders which there is a lot of.
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and social media in general. Before my blog, I had never tweeted or used a hashtag and now social media is pretty much my life! To promote your blog and give your readers an insight into ‘you’ social media is a must.
- Other blogs, magazines, books and websites for reasearch whether it is on blog topics, how to improve your blog or researching your niche. Never copy though as tempting as it may be, take inspiration but copying someone else is so obvious and it’s not you.
- Finally what I like to call the three P’s which are not physical items but things you can build over time but are absolute blogging essentials and they are Passion, Patience and Productivity. Passion is a given, you need to be passionate about your blog topic otherwise you will become bored and if you’re bored your readers will be. You need a lot of patience, waiting for things to load, for your blog to grow and with technology in general (I find it extremely testing!) You also need to have drive and be productive and within this comes planning.
So those are my blogging essentials, what are yours? Please comment below and share your thoughts. Please be sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter for instant updates and beautiful pictures that go beyond the blog. Also be sure to subscribe to the blog here, so you are the first to know about new posts ♥